The mass of statistics provided in the previous chapter tends to
blur the utilisation of the Corridor Tenders. As previously stated the Corridor
Tenders were intended to facilitate the change over of crews on the non stop
workings between London and Edinburgh, it follows therefore that the tenders
would be attached to engines working from King's Cross and Haymarket
Class A1 Nº4476 ROYAL LANCER of Grantham Shed was fitted
with a Corridor tender on 5/4/1928, 6 days later on 11/4/1928 it was
transferred to King's Cross Shed. The engine was attached to two further
Corridor Tenders, giving a continuous period of attachment of 9 years 2 months,
the longest time any Class A1 or A3 engine was ever so coupled.
This is closely followed by Class A1 Nº4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN,
which coincidentally was attached to a Corridor Tender on the same day
(5/4/1928) and transferred to King's Cross on the same day (11/4/1928), as
Nº4476. Nº4472 was attached to two further Corridor Tenders until
19/10/1936, giving a total period of attachment of 8 years 6 months.
Another King's Cross Engine Class A1 Nº4475 FLYING FOX
had a Corridor Tender from 10/8/1928 until 4/9/1934, a period of 6 years 1
month, lost its tender for 11 days, regained its tender on 15/9/1934 and
retained it for 7 months until 25/4/1935, when it was attached to another
corridor tender for a further 1 year 5 months until 23/10/1936. A total period
of attachment of 8 years 1 month.
Contrast the above lengthy periods of attachment with some of the
briefer periods enjoyed by other engines. Class A1 4474 VICTOR WILD 11 days (on
loan from Nº 4475), although to be fair this engine did have a Corridor
Tender for 13 months from 10/7/1933 to 24/8/1934.
After a Light Repair at Doncaster works Class A1 Nº2547
Doncaster was given a Corridor Tender and returned to King's Cross on
26/4/1928 and after 7 days, on 2/5/1928, lost the tender to Class A1
Nº2546 Donovan, which kept the tender for only 4 days before it was
restored back to Nº2547 on 6/5/1928, which then managed to keep the tender
for 5 years 1 month until 15/6/1933.
Two further Southern Area engines had brief flirtations with
Corridor Tenders. Class A1 Nº2556 ORMONDE left Doncaster Works after a
General Overhaul on 26/5/1928 fitted with a Corridor Tender, and returned to
Grantham Shed. The engine was transferred to King's Cross on 1/6/1928 and
lost its tender 6 days later on 7/6/1928, having only had the tender for a
total of 12 days. The Corridor Tender went to Class A1 Nº2552 SANSOVINO
which kept it for 2 month until 10/8/1928 when the tender went to Nº4475
FLYING FOX (see above).
Things North of the Border were even more complex when it came to
fitting the Corridor Tenders. The three Haymarket A1s with the Modified Valve
Gear selected to receive the Corridor Tender were usually overhauled at
Cowlairs Works, and the tenders were built at Doncaster. Class A1 Nº2563
WILLIAM WHITELAW received its tender via Gateshead Class A1 Nº2569
GLADIATEUR. How and where Nº2569 got the Corridor Tender is not known, its
last exit from works being on 22/3/1928 after a General Overhaul. However it
got a Corridor Tender on 24/4/1928 which it kept for 22 days, until 16/5/1928,
when presumably it worked to Edinburgh and Haymarket were able to do the
switch. Nº2563 kept the tender for 2 years 1 month until 17/6/1930 when it
was transferred to Class A3 Nº 2795 CALL BOY where it stayed for 6 years
10 months until called into works to be refurbished for use with the A4s on
Newly rebuilt Class A3 Nº2573 HARVESTER left Doncaster Works
on 17/4/1928, but strangely is recorded as receiving a Corridor Tender on
10/4/1928. The previous home shed for Nº2573 had been Gateshead, but on
leaving Works the engine was dispatched to Haymarket, where it resided for 3
months before being transferred back to Gateshead on 5/7/1928. In the meantime
Haymarket must have decided that the Corridor Tender would be more use on Class
A1 Nº2564 KNIGHT OF THE THISTLE and switched tenders on 2/7/1928. The
tender stuck with Nº2564 for 7 years 3 months until 17/10/1935.
The third Class A1 at Haymarket with the Modified Valve Gear was
Nº2565 MERRY HAMPTON, which received its Corridor Tender via new Class A3
Nº2749 FLAMINGO. This is a slightly curious one in that Nº2749 was
put into traffic on 26/1/1929 working from Doncaster Shed, acquired the
Corridor Tender from Class A3 Nº 2743 FELSTEAD on 6/2/1929, and on the
same day was transferred to Carlisle. Nº 2743 was put into traffic on
22/8/1928 and had been working from Doncaster Shed with the Corridor Tender for
six months before switching with Nº2749. After working from Carlisle for
42 days Nº2749 gave up the Corridor Tender to Nº2565 MERRY HAMPTON on
20/3/1929, as it left Cowlairs Works after a General Overhaul.
Another round the houses transfer took place involving new Class
A3 Nº2745 CAPTAIN CUTTLE ex-works 8/9/1928, and fitted with a Corridor
Tender, and sent to Doncaster Shed for a month or so to be "run in".
Nº2745 was transferred to Haymarket on 24/10/1928, that should have been
the perfect opportunity to use the new A3 on the duties it was designed and
equipped for, or switch the tender to one of the more favoured engines. But no,
2 days later on 26/10/1928 it was transferred to Carlisle (still with the
Corridor Tender) and worked from there for I year 8 months until 30/6/1930,
before exchanging tenders with Haymarket Class A3 Nº2796 SPEARMINT, which
retained the tender for 6 years 7 months until it was taken to be refurbished
for an A4 on 29/1/1937.
Evidence that Haymarket finally got round to accepting the Class
A3 on to non stop duties is shown above, and by new Class A3 Nº2795 CALL
BOY ex-works 19/4/1930 and allocated straight to Haymarket, after 2 months on
17/6/1930 it exchanged tenders with Nº2563 WILLIAM WHITELAW, and retained
the Corridor Tender for 6 years 10 months until 15/4/1937 when it was taken for
use with an A4.
Back at King's Cross new Class A3 Nº2744 GRAND PARADE
was ex-works 23/8/1928 and fitted with a Corridor Tender, which it retained for
10 months until 26/9/1929 when the tender went to the then 2 months old Class
A3 Nº2750 PAPYRUS. This was the start of a long running saga as these two
engines exchanged tenders 4 times over the next 8 years. Nº2750 retained
the tender for 3 years until 24/6/1932, back with Nº2744 for 4½
months until 20/1/1933, back then to Nº2750 for 5½ months until
8/7/1933, finally back to Nº2744 for 3 years 4 months until 2/12/1936 when
it was taken for use with an A4. Summarising, No 2744 had the Corridor tender
for a total period of 4 years 6½ months and Nº2750 for a total
period of 3 years 5½ months. However that is not the full story with
regard to Nº2750 as it was attached to two other Corridor Tenders, for a
period of 2 years 3 months from 24/8/1934 to 13/11/1936, and for a period of
just over 2 months from 30/6/1937 to 6.9.1937, giving a grand total for the
period of attachment of 5 years 11 months.
Class A3 Nº2746 FAIRWAY seems straightforward with regard to
the Corridor Tender, fitted 30/6/1929 and retained for just over 6 years 8
months, until 11/3/1937, when it was taken for use with an A4. However
Nº2746 enjoyed a lengthy spell at King's Cross Shed from 26/10/1928 (8
months later it got the Corridor Tender) to 10/11/1936, when it was transferred
to Gateshead, but was back at King's Cross a month later, on 15/12/1936.
Into Doncaster Works for a Light Repair 11/3 to 24/4/1937 it lost its Corridor
The Corridor Tender above was first attached to newly rebuilt
Class A3 No 2580 SHOTOVER on 20/4/1928 (at that time based at Heaton Shed)
after 8 months it was removed by Darlington Works on 27/2/1929. The tender then
reappeared 2 months later on new Class A3 Nº2752 SPION KOP on 20/4/1929 as
it left Doncaster Works, but it only retained the tender for 2 months until
30/6/1929, before giving up the tender to Nº2746 (see above).
This then is the pre history of the 1928-style Corridor Tenders
before they were attached to the new Class A4 Pacifics in 1937.
Researched and written by Mel Haigh,
Education Officer, Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust Ltd.
First published in Chime 127, Spring 2003
Continue to Part Three
Return to 'A Tangle of Tenders' Title