The Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust LtdSubscribe to 60007

Registered Charity Nº1079591


A Tangle of Tenders

Part One

When the first Gresley Pacific Nº1470 appeared, it was paired with a new large eight wheeled tender, capable of carrying 8 tons of coal and 5000 gallons of water. Two coal rails were provided along two sides and the back. A total of 52 of these tenders were built and remained attached to Class A1 and A3 engines for the whole of their working lives. These tenders are generally called G.N. Coal Rail Tenders. The first two were numbered 5211 and 5212, the next ten were numbered 5223 to 5232 inclusively, and the next forty were numbered 5253 to 5292 inclusively. These numbers were usually carried on a small oval plate above the coal gate.

In 1928 with the introduction of non-stop running between London and Edinburgh, a new style of tender was required. This again utilised the eight wheeled chassis and 5000 gallon water capacity of its predecessor, but also had an 18 inch wide by 5 feet high corridor along the right hand side of the tender, and somehow the coal capacity had been allegedly increased to 9 tons. There were detail differences in the lengths of the Frames and the Side Sheets. The side sheets had to be higher to accommodate the corridor, the coal rails disappeared, from the right hand side and the back of the tender, and the top of the side sheet was curved over to fit the loading gauge. At the back of the tender the plate was carried up to follow the outline of the Loading Gauge, and was fitted with vertical handrail at the outer edges, along with three foot brackets either side of the Pullman Corridor Connection. A grab rail was also fitted above the corridor connection and carried down the sides approximately 18 inches. The coal rails did not disappear entirely, one was fitted over the roof of the corridor, as a precaution against large coals spilling over the side, due to the side sheet being curved over to form the corridor roof. The rail was fixed along the centreline of the corridor roof, with a projection of 5 inches above the corridor roof. A "D" shaped beading ran along the top edge of the side sheets, below the curve in, and followed the "stepped profile" at the front end, and continued down the front edges of the sheets to the foot plate. The front edges of the side sheets were also curved inwards to match the curve of the cab sheets. Ten of these tenders were built, all going into service in 1928; over the next nine years they were attached to thirteen Class A1 and thirteen Class A3 engines. In 1937 all of these tenders were transferred on to the Class A4 engines, and streamlined fairings were added over the front end of the coal space, which unfortunately had an adverse effect and limited the loading of the coal. These Tenders are generally called 1928 Corridor Tenders, there were a total of ten tenders, numbered 5323 to 5332 inclusively.

As further Class A3 engines were built, in 1930, their new tenders followed the pattern of the 1928 Corridor Tenders, but without the corridor. These tenders are generally called High Sided Non-Corridor Tenders, 28 being built, and were numbered 5476 to 5483, and 5566 to 5574, and 5580 to 5584 inclusively. The interruptions in the previous number sequence is due to tender Nº5565 being allocated to Class P2 Nº 2001, and tenders Nº5575 to 5579 being allocated also to Class P2 Nos. 2002 to 2006. Also tender Nos. 5569, 5572, 5574, 5580, and 5583 were coupled to Raven Pacifics from approximately late 1934 until the engines were withdrawn in 1936-37, and then the tenders were attached to Class A3 engines.

Also at this time an extra Corridor Tender, numbered 5484 was built, to run with engine Nº10000, this remained with this engine, even after re-building, until 1948.

With the advent of the A4 Class in 1935, a matching Streamlined Corridor Tender was build. The side sheets were curved over at the top, to follow the loading gauge, but the "D" beading and the inward curve of the side sheets at the cab end were omitted. The back of the tender was slightly curved and streamlined fairings were fitted over the front of the coal space and around the water tank filler cover. These tenders are generally called Streamlined Corridor Tenders and were built in two batches, numbered 5589 to 5592, and 5646 to 5652 inclusively.

A non corridor version of the Streamlined type was built and attached to both A3 and A4 Classes. These tenders are generally called Streamlined Non-Corridor Tenders, and were numbered 5636 to 5645, and 5667 to 5675 inclusively.

The above is a brief outline of the various designs of 8 wheeled tenders, and some indication of the classes to which they were attached. It is not intended to track every tender listed above, only those which were attached to Class A4 Engines. Where possible the tenders will be listed in, as built, numerical order, and engines to which they are attached will be listed with the classification, number and name current at the time of attachment.

Tender Nº5323 – 1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A1

4472

Flying Scotsman

5/4/1928

23/4/1929

A1

4476

ROYAL LANCER

25/5/1928

15/5/1935

A1

4475

FLYING FOX

13/6/1935

23/10/1936

A4

4482

GOLDEN EAGLE

22/12/1936

5/6/1941

A4

4462

WILLIAM WHITELAW*

23/7/1941

3/2/1948

A4

E-22

MALLARD

5/3/1948**

12/3/1953

A4

60029

WOODCOCK

12/3/1953

20/10/1963 withdrawn

*on renaming

**altered for Locomotive Exchanges

(Seven Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5324 -1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A1

4476

ROYAL LANCER

5/4/1928

17/4/1929

A1

4472

FLYING SCOTSMAN

8/6/1929

19/10/1936

A4

4485

KESTREL

20/2/1937

8/8/1943

A4

4498

SIR NIGEL GRESLEY

8/8/1943

*

*to withdrawal, and into preservation 1/2/1966. This tender is still with Nº60007 and has recently undergone a full overhaul at Grosmont.

(Four Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5325 - 1928 Corridor Type.

Attached to

From

To

A3*

2573

HARVESTER

10/4/1928

2/7/28

A1

2564

KNIGHT OF THE THISTLE**

2/7/1928

17/10/1935

A3

2506

SALMON TROUT

17/10/1935

7/12/1936

A4

4488

UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA

17/4/1937

22/3/1948

A4

60033

SEAGULL

9/4/1948***

28/5/1954

A4

60034

LORD FARRINGDON

28/5/1954

14/1/1963****

*just re-built to Class A3

**Re-named KNIGHT OF THISTLE – 28/12/1932

***Altered for Locomotive Exchanges

****to withdrawal, then transferred to Class A3 Nº60103 (4472) for preservation. Still with FLYING SCOTSMAN but has been extensively re-built in recent years.

(Seven Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5326 -1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A3

2580

SHOTOVER

20/4/1928

27/2/1929

A3

2752*

SPION KOP

20/4/1929

30/6/1929

A3

2746

FAIRWAY

30/6/1929

11/3/1937

A4

4485

WOODCOCK**

17/4/1937

6/12/1937

A4

4490

EMPIRE OF INDIA

6/12/1937

13/9/1960

A4

60010

DOMINION OF CANADA

15/10/1960

29/5/1965 withdrawn

*newly built

**Re-named DOMINION OF CANADA 15/6/1937

(Six Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5327 -1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A1

2547

DONCASTER

26/4/1928

2/5/1928

A1

2546

DONOVAN

2/5/1928

6/5/1928

A1

2547

DONCASTER

6/5/1928

15/6/1933

A1

4474

VICTOR WILD

10/7/1933

24/8/1934

A3

2750

PAPYRUS

24/8/1934

13/11/1936

A4

4484

FALCON

23/1/1937

3/9/1945

A4

4487

SEA EAGLE*

4/10/1945

30/6/1951

A4

60030

GOLDEN FLEECE

30/6/1951

29/12/1962 withdrawn

*Nº28 and Nº 60028 and re-named WALTER K WHIGHAM from 1/10/1947

(Eight Changes of Engine.)

Tender Nº5328 – 1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A1

2569

GLADIATEUR

24/4/1928

16/5/1928

A1

2563

WILLIAM WHITELAW

16/5/1928

17/6/1930

A3

2795

CALL BOY

17/6/1930

15/4/1937

A4

4490

EMPIRE OF INDIA

25/6/1937

6/12/1937

A4

4489

DOMINION OF CANADA

6/12/1937

29/6/1953

A4

60006

SIR RALPH WEDGWOOD

24/6/1953

14/7/1953

A4

60010

DOMINION OF CANADA

27/8/1953

29/8/1960

A4

60011

EMPIRE OF INDIA

28/10/1960

11/5/1964 withdrawn

(Eight Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5329 –1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A1

2556

ORMONDE

26/5/1928

7/6/1928

A1

2552

SANSOVINO

7/6/1928

10/8/1928

A1

4475

FLYING FOX

10/8/1928

4/9/1934

A1

4474

VICTOR WILD

4/9/1934

15/9/1934

A1

4475

FLYING FOX

15/9/1934

25/4/35

A1

4476

ROYAL LANCER

27/6/1935

9/6/1937

A3

2750

PAPYRUS

30/6/1937

6/9/1937

A4

4498

SIR NIGEL GRESLEY

30/10/1937

8/8/1943

A4

4485*

KESTREL**

8/8/1943

29/9/1952

A4

60032

GANNET

24/10/1952

1/6/1953

A4

60026

MILES BEEVOR

1/6/1953

20/1/1954

A4

60003

ANDREW K McCOSH

20/1/1954

7/9/1955

A4

60032

GANNET

7/9/1955

9/2/1957

A4

60024

KINGFISHER

22/3/1957

24/8/1966

A4

60034

LORD FARRINGDON

28/8/1966

3/12/1966 withdrawn

* Nº587, Nº26, Nº60026 ** MILES BEEVOR

(Fourteen Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5330 – 1928 Corridor Type.

Attached to

From

To

A3

2743

FELSTEAD

22/8/1928

6/2/1929

A3

2749

FLAMINGO

6/2/1929

20/3/1929

A1

2565

MERRY HAMPTON

20/3/1929

4/7/1929

A1

2566

LADAS

4/7/1929

10/7/1930

A1

2563

WILLIAM WHITELAW

10/7/1930

5/4/1935

A3

2508

BROWN JACK

5/4/1935

9/2/1937

A4

4487

SEA EAGLE

20/3/1937

10/8/1945

A4

4484*

FALCON

20/9/1945

24/5/1955

A4

60014

SILVER LINK

24/5/1955

26/7/1955

A4

60025

FALCON

26/7/1955

21/7/1958

A4

60022

MALLARD

27/8/1958

30/5/1962

A4

60021

WILD SWAN

30/5/1962

20/10/1963 withdrawn

* Nº25, Nº 60025

(Twelve Changes of Engine.)

 

Tender Nº5331 - 1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A3

2744

GRAND PARADE

23/8/1928

29/6/1929

A3

2750

PAPYRUS

29/6/1929

24/6/1932

A3

2744

GRAND PARADE

3/8/1932

20/1/1933

A3

2750

PAPYRUS

20/1/1933

8/7/1933

A3

2744

GRAND PARADE

8/7/1933

2/12/1936

A4

4483*

KINGFISHER

26/12/1936

18/2/1957

A4

60032

GANNET

15/3/1957

20/10/1963 withdrawn

*Nº24, Nº 60024

(Theoretically seven Changes of Engine, in fact the tender was only ever attached to four engines throughout its life. The discrepancy is due to being shunted back and forth between Engines Nº2744 & 2750 during the first eight years of its life.)

 

Tender Nº5332 – 1928 Corridor Type

Attached to

From

To

A3

2745

CAPTAIN CUTTLE

8/9/1928

to 30/6/30

A3

2796

SPEARMINT

30/6/1930

29/1/1937

A4

4486*

MERLIN

13/3/1937

29/1/1948

A4

60034

LORD FARRINGDON

25/2/1948

28/5/1954

A4

60033

SEAGULL

28/5/1954

29/12/1962**

* Nº27, Nº60027

**Locomotive withdrawn. The tender was retained at Doncaster Works, and was attached to Class A4 Nº60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA (in for a General Overhaul 16/7/1963 to 6/11/1963), 6/11/1963 to withdrawal 1/6/1966, when the Tender was not scrapped but was purchased by Alan Pegler and converted into the water carrying second tender for the preserved Class A3 FLYING SCOTSMAN.

(Six Changes of Engine, plus One into preservation.)

 

Tender Nº5484 – 1928 Corridor Type

This was a "one off" specially built in 1929 to be attached to the High Pressure "Hush-Hush" Locomotive Nº10000. There were detail differences from the normal tenders of this type, the main one being the side sheets at the front end were not carried round as far as previously, and the hand rails were stainless steel. The rear Buffer Beam had several holes drilled through it, to allow the cables from the test instruments to pass through to the Dynamometer Car.

The tender was attached to Class W1 Nº10000 7/11/1929, through rebuilding in 1937, finally losing the tender during the course of a General Overhaul (27/4/1948 to 24/6/1948). One record shows the tender as being replaced with a 1936 Streamlined Non-Corridor Type Nº5639 on 18/6/1948. However Class A4 No E-4 WILLIAM WHITELAW is recorded as receiving its proper B.R. number 60004 and changing its tender for tender Nº5484 during a visit to Doncaster Works 24-25/5/ 1948. The tender remained with Nº60004 until withdrawal on 17/7/1966. Again the tender did not go for scrap but was transferred to Class A4 Nº60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA (it having lost its tender Nº5332 to FLYING SCOTSMAN) 17/6/1966 into preservation 10/9/1966.

Researched and written by Mel Haigh,
Education Officer, Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust Ltd.
First published in Chime 127, Spring 2003
Continue to Part Two
Return to 'A Tangle of Tenders' Title Page

Return to top

Page updated on 12 January 2015   Visitor Counter

Copyright © The Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust Ltd