With the decision to change the livery to Garter Blue, one is
inclined to think that some semblance of "standardisation" would take
place. Although the Garter Blue and Coronation Red became the basic colour
scheme, the cabside and front end numbers, along with the company initials on
the tender sides, were still applied in a variety of styles and colours.
Stepping back slightly Nos. 2509, 2510, 2511 and 2512 did not
display a running number on the front buffer beam area when they first entered
traffic. The reason for this appears to have been lack of space, due to the
large recess in the casing to accommodate the drawhook. However when longer
buffers and drawhooks were fitted there was no need of a recess and adequate
space was available to apply the numbers. Nº2510 was the first to be
converted, re-entering traffic on 11/7/1936, the numbers were 3½"
high and are believed to have matched the colour of the existing numbers, being
Silver Gilt with Blue shading. Nº2509 left Works on 26/7/1936, closely
followed by Nº2511 on 31/7/1936. Another anomaly then occurred when
Nº2512 was converted, as it then left Works on 2/10/1936 without a front
number; this was rectified at the next General Overhaul when Nº2512 became
the first Silver engine to receive the Garter Blue livery and cast nameplates,
‘L.N.E.R.’ and ‘2512’ being applied in 12" high
Gold shaded Red transfers, the front number being increased in height to
4½", again in Gold shaded Red, leaving Works on 6/11/1937. The
other three Silver engines received Garter Blue livery with the Gold shaded Red
letters and numbers and the 4½" high front numbers, and most
importantly their cast namplates, at their next General Overhauls, re-entering
traffic as follows: Nº2509 – 6/12/1937 , Nº2510 –
28/5/1938 , and Nº2511 – 9/8/1938.
One point that has been drawn to my attention is that Nº2509
when new, and being posed for the works photographs, had an interim livery, in
that the nameplate was removed and the name painted on the cladding panel, but
the front paint scheme, with the narrow band following the curve of the
streamlined casing was retained. A photo of the engine in this guise appears on
page 161 of "Railway Liveries 1923 to 1947" by Brian Haresnape. Sorry
for that digression, but it does show that there are still facts that are
waiting to be uncovered and thank you to the three members who drew my
attention to this point.
The "Green" engines, Nos. 4482 to 4487 inclusive,
appeared with the smaller 3½" high Gold shaded Red numbers to the
front end, whereas Nos. 4493, 4494 and 4495 got the 4½" high
numbers. The cabs and tenders received the standard 12" high Gold shaded
Red numbers and letters.
If one is being pedantic Nº 4495 can be said to be the first
of the green engines to receive the Garter Blue livery, and in theory this is
true. I like to think that because it was necessary for Nº4495 to be
repainted to match up to the West Riding Limited stock, it highlighted
the differing liveries of the engines and brought about the decision to paint
all the A4s Garter Blue.
Nº4485 Kestrel was the first Green engine with the
all black smokebox to receive the Garter Blue livery, with Gold shaded Red
letters and numbers, 12" high on cabside and tender, 4½" high
on the front, leaving the Works on 8/12/1937. Two engines, Nº4484
Falcon and Nº4486 Merlin, were next out of Works, both
leaving on 18/12/1937. Nº4483 Kingfisher left works on 7/1/1938
followed by Nº4482 Golden Eagle on 29/1/1938 and Nº4487 Sea
Eagle on 12/2/1938. There was a pause in the repainting and Nº4493
Woodcock was next out of works on 25/7/1938, three weeks after the last
A4, Nº4903, was put into traffic. Nº4494 Osprey hung on to its
Green livery until it left Works after its first General Overhaul on
Digressing slightly from the theme of these articles, examination
of the record cards shows that in the month of December 1937, thirteen of the
twenty one A4s then in service were in the Works for some repair or other, also
two new A4s left the Works in that time. For the sake of completeness here is a
list of engines, with the type of repair undertaken and the date they left
|Nº2509 Silver Link
|Nº2512 Silver Fox
||Receiving General Overhaul throughout December
|Nº4487 Sea Eagle
|Nº4488 Union of South Africa
|Nº4489 Dominion of Canada
|Nº4492 Dominion of New Zealand
|Nº4495 Golden Fleece
|Nº4496 Golden Shuttle
All the above engines shown as having a Light Repair may have had
minor mechanical work done, but in all cases it was the tenders attached to
each of these engines that received the most attention, having alterations
carried out to increase the coal capacity.
The two new engines were Nº 4462 Great Snipe and
Nº4464 Bittern which went into traffic on 10/12/1937 and
Getting back to the livery theme, between the two batches of
"Green" engines came the "Coronation" engines, which
established the Garter Blue and Coronation Red livery. The running numbers and
company initials were applied to the cab and tender sides in 12" high Gill
Sans cut out stainless steel letters and numerals. The front end number was
also more prominently displayed, being applied in Silver / Aluminium paint,
with an increase in height to 7½". The two engines earmarked for
the West Riding Limited, Nos. 4495 and 4496, also received the cut out
stainless steel letters and numerals, along with the larger Silver / Aluminium
front number. The Coronation and West Riding engines and tenders
all had the 2" wide stainless steel strip running along the bottom edge of
the footplate valance and the tender.
The remaining engines all received Garter Blue and Coronation Red
livery from new, with the 12" high Gold shaded Red numbers and letters to
cab and tender sides, with the 4½" high numbers on the front. So by
October 1938 all the 35 A4s were complete and all wearing Garter Blue and
Coronation Red livery, albeit some more finely embellished than others.
One of the more embellished engines was Nº4489, in March
1938 it received a Canadian Pacific Railways Bell, this being fully
operational, with a small steam reciprocating cylinder supplying the
"swing" to the bell. Also at this time it received new nameplates,
the letters and the border were made from Staybrite stainless steel and screwed
to the backing plate.
One month earlier Nº4498 was repainted for an exhibition at
Manchester, and lost its Silver, Blue shaded figures and letters, and
reappeared with the standard Gold shaded Red. Then Nº 4498, in Works for a
General Overhaul 30/11/1938 until 16/1/1939, had a further change, 12"
high cut out stainless steel figures and letters were applied to the cab and
tender sides, and the cast nameplate was replaced by a plate made up with screw
fixed Staybrite stainless steel cut out letters and border. The 2" wide
stainless steel band was also fixed along the valance and tender, and the
7½" high Silver / Aluminium front number was applied.
Next in line to receive the stainless steel treatment was
Nº4469, renamed Sir Ralph Wedgwood (L.N.E.R. Chief General Manager)
ex-works 1/3/1939. Followed by Nº4500 renamed Sir Ronald Matthews
(L.N.E.R. Chairman) ex-works 11/3/1939. Again followed by Nº4499 renamed
Sir Murrough Wilson (L.N.E.R. Deputy Chairman). All three engines
received 12"cut out stainless steel figures and letters, the stainless
steel band to valance and tender, and the 7½" high Silver /
Aluminium front number. Was this an ego trip by the Directors of the Company,
maybe a little jealous of the fact that the C.M.E. had had an engine named in
his honour, and they needed their 15 mins of glory? I don’t think so,
these men had given unstinting service to the L.N.E.R. from its inception and
deserved this accolade. Three rare ducks Gadwall, Garganey, and
Pochard respectively were "shot down" to accommodate the
With the outbreak of war in 1939 the streamlined trains were put
into storage, heavy haulage became the norm. Although certain economies were
forced upon the Company, the A4s continued to enjoy the Garter Blue livery for
two years after the outbreak of the War. Was this due to Sir Nigel ensuring the
status of his star engines was not diminished with a drab livery? But it all
came to an end in mid November 1941, seven months after Sir Nigel’s
death. Thompson had to make changes to mitigate the staff shortages, routine
daily maintenance being his big problem, especially with the A4s due to the
inaccessibility of the motion, hidden behind the valances.
Nº4462 Great Snipe was in works for a General
Overhaul from 5/6/1941 to 23/7/1941 and during this period had the valances
removed, not totally as the panel in front of the cylinders was left in place.
It was however provided with a top-hinged door to give access to the grease
points on the two to one levers, see Figure 5a. Also in works at this time was
Nº4487 Sea Eagle receiving a Light Repair, this engine had all the
valance removed, giving the outline that we see today, see Figure 5b.
The latter scheme must have been the most acceptable, so
Nº4487 was returned to traffic in this guise. Nº4462 was altered to
suit, and was given the Garter Blue livery and most importantly gained the name
William Whitelaw. It is not clear if the panel forward of the cylinders
was removed before the engine left works, or if the modification was done at
its home shed.
Seven more engines received the Garter Blue livery and had their
valances removed, as follows:- Nº4482 (G.O. 26/7/1941), Nº4465 (G.O.
23/10/1941), Nº4469 (G.O. 25/10/1941), Nº4490 (H.R. 1/11/1941),
Nº4463 (G.O. 6/11/1941), Nº4483 (G.O. 6/11/1941), Nº2510 (G.O.
7/11/1941). Dates given are as officially returned to traffic; G.O.= General
Overhaul, H.R.= Heavy Repair.
Mid November saw the introduction of the unlined Black livery,
offset by the retention of Gold shaded Red figures and full L.N.E.R. letters.
Had the Garter Blue paint run out, or had a decision been made to take a more
economical approach to the painting of locomotives? So between mid November
1941 and mid June 1942, twenty one A4s were given this new unlined Black
livery, nineteen having their valances removed at the same time, as
follows:-Nº4464 (G.O. 14/11/1941), Nº4492* (G.O. 21/11/1941),
Nº2512 (G.O. 22/11/1941), Nº4484 (G.O. 30/11/1941), Nº2509
(6/12/1941), Nº4500* (G.O. 7/12/1941), Nº4495* (G.O. 20/12/1941),
Nº4486 (G.O. 27/12/1941), Nº4485 (G.O. 18/1/1942), Nº4496* (G.O.
30/1/1942), Nº4499* (G.O. 7/2/1942), Nº4466 (G.O. 13/2/1942), Nº
4489* (G.O. 21/2/1942), Nº4498* (G.O. 21/2/1942), Nº4488* (G.O.
21/3/1942), Nº4467 (G.O. 11/4/1942), Nº4497 (G.O. 16/5/1942),
Nº4902 (G.O. 27/5/1942), Nº4468 (G.O. 13/6/1942). * Denotes engines
and tenders with cut out stainless steel figures and letters; it is believed
that these were painted over with a Light Yellow/ Straw paint. The twentieth
engine was Nº4487 which had had the valances removed in July 1941, but on
completion of a General Overhaul left works on 22/11/1941 with the unlined
The twenty first engine was Nº4469 having been in works from
11/9/1941 to 25/10/1941 having a General Overhaul, during which the valances
were removed and it was given the Garter Blue livery. It was back in works for
another General Overhaul four months later, 21/2/1942 to 17/4/1942, leaving
with the unlined black livery. Twelve days later, doing running in turns, and
laid up in York shed for the night, it was damaged beyond repair by a near
direct hit from a German bomb. The engine and tender were recovered from the
wreckage and towed to Doncaster Works, where it was officially condemned on
6/6/1942. The tender was stored out of use for some time but was eventually
refurbished and used again with Class A2/1 Nº 3696 in December 1945. The
stainless steel strip to the bottom edge of the tender was left in place and
painted over, but the cut out letters had been removed. Recently it was
rumoured that the "bent" right hand nameplate had been discovered in
the garden shed of a deceased member of the recovery team.
As at July 1942, there were 20 engines in Black livery and minus
valances, there were 7 engines with Garter Blue livery and minus valances, and
there were 7 engines with Garter Blue livery still complete with valances. In
late August 1942 a start was made to convert the remaining Garter Blue engines
to the unlined Black livery, however from here on the company initials on the
tender were abbreviated to N.E.. Engines with the cut out letters had the L and
R painted over in Black, and the N.E. painted over in Light Yellow/Straw. The
Garter Blue engines with and without valances came into the Works as and when
necessary, so for the sake of clarity I will deal with the 7 engines still
retaining their valances. Nº4494 Osprey was the first engine into
Works, and was re-named Andrew K McCosh (Chairman of the Locomotive
Committee) and left works on 21/8/1942. Next was Nº4901
Capercaillie emerging as Charles H. Newton on 22/8/1942, so two
more birds had fallen prey to the Directors. Just sticking with Nº4901 for
the moment, ten months later it was re-named again, becoming Sir Charles
Newton to reflect the Knighthood bestowed upon its namesake. The remaining
engines in this group were dealt with as follows:- Nº4900 (4/9/1942),
Nº4493 (11/9/1942), Nº4491 (12/9/1943) and finally Nº2511 was
the last engine to lose both its Garter Blue livery and its valances, leaving
Works on 10/4/43.
The 7 engines still with Garter Blue livery but minus valances
got the unlined Black livery as follows:- Nº4490 (22/10/1942), Nº4462
(31/10/1942), Nº4483 (4/2/43), Nº4465 (7/8/1943), Nº4463
(22/8/43), Nº4482 (10/9/1943), and finally Nº2510 (5/10/ 1943).
It’s an interesting quirk of fate that of the original
engines Nº2511 was the last of the class to lose both its Garter Blue
livery and its valances, and Nº2510 was the very last engine to lose the
Garter Blue Livery.
Researched and written by Mel Haigh,
Education Officer, Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust Ltd.
First published in Chime 123, Spring 2002
Continue to Part Six
Return to 'An A4 by Any Other
Name' Title Page